Gene Therapy Restoring Light Sensitivity 'Showed Impressive Dose-Response Improvements'
Source: Streetwise Reports
April 8, 2021 (Investorideas.com Newswire) Roth Capital Partners advised that Applied Genetic Technologies co-development of BS01 with Bionic Sight "validates its gene therapy capabilities."
In a March 31 research note, ROTH Capital Partners LLC research analyst Zegbeh Jallah reported that Applied Genetic Technologies Corp. (AGTC:NASDAQ), a clinical-stage biotechnology company engaged in developing gene therapy products for inherited orphan ophthalmology diseases, has co-developed gene therapy that restores sensitivity in blind retinitis pigmentosa (RP) patients. Jallah advised that RP is an inherited retinal disease caused by degenerating photoreceptors.
The analyst stated that AGTC's collaborative partner Bionic Sight recently announced that its "Phase 1/2 study of BS01 showed that 4/4 patients with Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) can now detect light, and 2/4 can detect motion, which we find impressive as these patients were nearly/completely blind."
AGTC owns a 15% equity stake in Bionic Sight and its role in the BS01 study was to supply expertise in the areas of vector design, manufacturing and preclinical optimizations. ROTH Capital Partners believes "AGTC's co-development of BS01 validates its gene therapy capabilities and is lucrative given its 15% equity stake in Bionic Sight."
The report explained that "BS01 is an optogenetic AAV gene therapy that is being developed for severe or advanced RP patients...that when activated by light, BS01 increases cellular activity and sends signals to the brain to restore visual function, using a retinal decoding algorithms."
The report indicated that the Phase 1/2 trial is a dose escalation study of BS01 in patients diagnosed with advanced RP with near to complete vision loss. Initial results from the study reportedly "showed impressive dose-response improvements in light and motion sensitivity in treated patients." Bionic Sight now plans to continue dose escalation in the current group of four patients and enroll 16 additional patients.
ROTH Capital Partners stated that "the dose-response was remarkable in our opinion as the lowest dose induced a 20-fold increase in light sensitivity and the higher dose (3x lowest) induced a 100-fold increase in sensitivity."
Jallah commented that in addition to its 15% equity position in Bionic Sight, AGTC also holds an option exercisable for a limited time only to acquire a majority equity interest in Bionic Sight's assets in the collaboration, or the rights to the commercial product. The analyst noted, "We view this as particularly attractive since AGTC's pivotal XLRP study will exclude RP patients with lower baseline sensitivity, which BS01 could capture, expanding the addressable market."
The analyst stated that ROTH Capital Partners has a "Buy" rating for Applied Genetic Technologies with a 12-month price target price of $35/share. Applied Genetic's shares are currently trading at around $4.55.
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.
Disclosures from ROTH Capital Partners, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation, Company Note, March 31, 2021
Regulation Analyst Certification ("Reg AC"): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.
Within the last twelve months, ROTH has received compensation for investment banking services from Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation.
ROTH makes a market in shares of Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation and as such, buys and sells from customers on a principal basis.
Shares of Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation may be subject to the Securities and Exchange Commission's Penny Stock Rules, which may set forth sales practice requirements for certain low-priced securities.
Within the last twelve months, ROTH has managed or co-managed a public offering for Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation.
ROTH Capital Partners, LLC expects to receive or intends to seek compensation for investment banking or other business relationships with the covered companies mentioned in this report in the next three months.
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire - a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investing involves risk and possible losses. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. Contact management and IR of each company directly regarding specific questions.
More disclaimer info: https://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp Learn more about publishing your news release and our other news services on the Investorideas.com newswire https://www.investorideas.com/News-Upload/ and tickertagstocknews.com