Cannabis Deal Tracker: Investment and M&A Activity in the Cannabis Industry September 14th - September 18th, 2020
September 23, 2020 (Investorideas.com Newswire) KEY INSIGHTS & TAKEAWAYS
- Transactional Activity: Week 38 ended September 18, 2020, saw a $25.6 million higher dollar volume with 4 more transactions vs. the prior week of this year and a sharply lower dollar volume and number of transactions vs the prior-year period. We tracked 9 capital raise transactions totaling $46.7 million, vs 14 transactions totaling $80.8 million during the same week in 2019. The average tranche size was $5.2 million this week, vs. $5.8 million in the prior-year period.
- Largest Cap Raise: On September 16, Holistic Industries, one of the largest private MSOs with operations in California, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C., raised US$35.0 million in an oversubscribed financing round. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, however, we can make a few observations and assumptions to explore the company's likely credit quality. 1) The company has built its portfolio of assets largely by winning licenses based on merit rather than through acquisitions. The company's chairman Josh Gunderson noted in a 2019 interview that his company has been in existence for 10 years and focuses on being an operator rather than an aggregator, thereby avoiding having to merge disparate cultures and business systems/practices. 2) Holistic raised $55 million of equity in October 2019, an extremely tumultuous period in the cannabis capital markets. It is reasonable to assume that the company sold 20% or less of itself in that round, giving a conservative market cap estimate of over $275 million. 3) We believe, based on the company's operating philosophy and concentration of assets in attractive markets including Pennsylvania, that the company is likely to be solidly EBITDA positive. 4) the press release for the transaction says that this will be the company's only debt obligation. Synthesizing these considerations, we believe Holistic would likely rank in the top third of our U.S. MSO list on a credit quality basis.
- Public vs. Private Cap Raises: 8 of this week's 9 capital raises were closed by public companies. So far in 2020, public companies have accounted for 81% of all capital raises, vs. 67% for the same period in 2019. In 2020, public companies have accounted for 84% of total dollars raised, vs. 69% for the same period in 2019.
- Public Company Listings: Of the 8 public company capital raises, all are listed in Canada on (7 on the CSE and 1 on the TSX), and 5 also trade on other markets (3 on the OTC and 2 on the FSE).
- Equity vs. Debt Cap Raises: Equity-based capital raises accounted for 8 of this week's 9 capital raises and accounted for 25% of the funds raised.
- Largest Equity Raise: On September 18, Flower One Holdings, the largest cannabis cultivator, producer, and full-service brand fulfillment partner in the state of Nevada, closed a public offering of 23 million Equity Units at C$0.25 (US$0.19) per share for gross proceeds of C$5.7 (US$4.36 million). Each unit included a common share and a 3-year warrant with a C$0.36 exercise price. We value this warrant, struck at a 44% premium to the unit price, at only C$.01 per share. The deal was first announced on September 10 and the closing price on that day of C$0.23 is consistent with our warrant valuation. This is the company's fourth equity issuance in 2020 and the stock is down 83% YTD. COVID-19 had a larger impact on Flower One than on most other cannabis companies due to its Nevada focus, but revenues appear poised for a significant resurgence in Q3.
- Cap Raises by Sector: The 9 capital raises this week were spread across 3 different industry sectors with seven in Cultivation & Retail, one in Infused Products & Extracts, and one in Biotech/Pharma.
MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
- Transactional Activity: Week 38 saw 2 M&A transactions, down from 4 in the prior-year period. Although the number of M&A transactions completed year-to-date is down 78% vs the comparable period of 2019, we continue to expect increased activity in the remainder of the year.
- Largest M&A Transaction: On September 16th, Choom Holdings Inc. (CSE: CHOO,) (OTCQ: CHOOF), a fast-expanding retail cannabis company with one of the largest store networks in Canada, completed its acquisition of Phivida Holdings (CSE: VIDA), a company engaged in the sale and distribution of custom formulated hemp oil extracts and hemp oil-infused beverages and nutraceuticals. Consideration consisted of 64.6 million shares of Choom, valued at US$4.78 million, and represented approximately 28.6% of the outstanding shares on a proforma basis. The purchase price was 5.4 times Phivida's LTM Revenues of US$0.88 million a significant discount to the 7.95 times median multiple we calculate for the 28 Canadian Infused Products sector companies we track with market caps of under $100 million.
- Public vs. Private: Both of this week's two acquisitions were made by public companies. Year-to-date, 92% of M&A transactions closed in 2020 have been made by public companies (up from 70% in 2019). Public companies, particularly with the recovery in stock prices and fundraising ability, have been the dominant acquirers in the cannabis industry. Private companies remain the dominant targets for acquirers.
- M&A by Sector: Both of the buyers in this week's two deals came from the Cultivation & Retail sector. One target was from the Cultivation & Retail sector and the other from the Infused Product & Extracts sector.
The Viridian Cannabis Deal Tracker is a proprietary information service that monitors capital raise and M&Amp;Amp;A activity in the legal cannabis and hemp industry. Each week the Tracker aggregates and analyzed all closed deals and segments each according to key metrics:
- Industry Sector (one of 12 sectors, from Cultivation to Brands)
- Dollar value of the transaction
- Region in which the deal occurred (country or U.S. state)
- Status of the company announcing the transaction (Public vs. Private)
- Deal structure (equity vs. debt)
- Key deal terms
The Viridian Cannabis Deal Tracker provides the market intelligence that cannabis companies, investors, and acquirers utilize to make informed decisions regarding capital allocation and M&Amp;Amp;Amp;A strategy.
Since its inception in 2015, the Viridian Cannabis Deal Tracker has tracked and analyzed more than 2,500 capital raises and 1,000 M&Amp;Amp;Amp;A transactions totaling over $45 billion in aggregate value.
*Copyright © 2020 by Viridian Capital Advisors
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the publisher. No part of this material may be (I) copied, photocopied, or duplicated in any form, by any means, or (II) redistributed without Viridian's prior written consent.
The information contained herein is for informational purposes and is not intended as a research report. It should not be construed as Viridian recommending investment in cannabis companies or as a solicitation to buy or sell any security or engage in a particular investment strategy. Investment in cannabis companies entails substantial risk. Before acting on any information, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and consult all available material, and, if necessary, seek professional advice.
Viridian Capital Advisors and its affiliates, as well as their respective partners, directors, shareholders, and employees, may have a position in the securities mentioned herein or may make purchases and/or sales from time to time. Viridian Capital Advisors, through broker-dealer services provided by Bradley Woods & Co. Ltd., (Member FINRA/SIPC), may act, or may have acted in the past, as a financial advisor to certain companies mentioned herein and may receive, or may have received, a remuneration for their services from those companies.
The above information whether in part or in its entirety neither constitutes an offer nor makes any recommendation to buy or sell any securities.
About Viridian Capital Advisors, LLC
Viridian Capital Advisors (www.viridianca.com) is a financial and strategic advisory firm dedicated to the cannabis market. We are a data- and market intelligence-driven firm that provides investment, M&Amp;Amp;A, corporate development, and investor relations services to emerging growth companies and qualified investors in the cannabis sector. Our banking practice, through broker-dealer Bradley Woods & Co. Ltd. (Member FINRA/SIPC), provides capital and M&Amp;Amp;A services to fund the growth of our clients, while our advisory practice helps to position and build their businesses. Our team's decades of high level operating and transactional experience on Wall Street in a variety of emerging sectors, allows Viridian to provide comprehensive strategic and financial solutions that assist cannabis enterprises in realizing their full potential.
Marijuana remains illegal under federal law. The federal government does not recognize marijuana to have any medicinal value. Marijuana cultivation, possession, consumption, sales, and distribution are illegal under federal laws and also certain state laws. Investors in cannabis may be subject to law enforcement actions. Please note that there are differences in marijuana laws from one state, county, or city to another. Furthermore there are substantial risks associated with investing in cannabis companies, including, without limitation, changes in applicable laws, rules, and regulations, risks associated with the economic environment, the financing markets, and risks associated with a company's ability to execute on its business plan.
Viridian Capital Advisors, LLC
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investing involves risk and possible losses. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. Contact management and IR of each company directly regarding specific questions.
More disclaimer info: https://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp Learn more about publishing your news release and our other news services on the Investorideas.com newswire https://www.investorideas.com/News-Upload/ and tickertagstocknews.com
Sign up for free stock news alerts at Investorideas.com