Myriad Genetics Shares Fall 30% on Q2 Earnings and Executive Leadership Change
Source: Streetwise Reports
February 10, 2020 (Investorideas.com Newswire) Shares of Myriad Genetics traded 30% lower after the firm released Q2/20 earnings and announced the appointment of a new interim CEO.
After U.S. markets closed yesterday afternoon, global molecular diagnostics and precision medicine company Myriad Genetics Inc. (MYGN:NASDAQ), announced Q2/20 financial results for the period ending December 31, 2019. The firm additionally provided an update on recent operational highlights and reported revised Q3/20 and FY/20 financial guidance.
The company reported that in Q2/19 total revenues decreased by 10% to $195.1 million, compared to $216.8 million in Q2/18. The firm indicated that in Q2/19 it had diluted earnings per share (EPS) of ($0.11) and Adjusted EPS of $0.23, compared to diluted EPS of $0.03 and Adjusted EPS of $0.38 for Q2/18.
The company's newly appointed President and Chief Executive Officer R. Bryan Riggsbee commented, "Revenue in the fiscal second quarter fell short of expectations largely due to the prenatal business. Prenatal cash collections were negatively impacted by issues in billing operations that occurred during the transition of the homegrown Counsyl billing system to an industry-standard system used by Myriad. We are in the process of implementing a number of initiatives focused on improving cash collections, have made several organizational changes to bolster growth and are evaluating additional initiatives...Despite recent payer related headwinds, we continue to see significant near-term prospects to drive increased revenue and I am highly focused on returning Myriad to a position of sustained long-term profitable growth."
The firm discussed some of the recent business highlights including that it has signed a fixed-price payer portfolio contract with UnitedHealthcare and grew hereditary cancer diagnostic volumes at a mid-single digit rate on a year-over-year basis.
The company also provided Q3/20 and FY/20 forward guidance. For Q3/20 the company expects Revenue of $172 million with GAAP diluted EPS of ($0.30) per share and Adjusted EPS of $0.02 per share. For FY/20 the company expects Revenue of $735 million with GAAP diluted EPS of ($0.80) per share and Adjusted EPS of $0.45 per share.
On the same day the company also announced that effective immediately R. Bryan Riggsbee, Chief Financial Officer, has been appointed Interim President and Chief Executive Officer, but will also continue to serve as CFO. The firm advised that Mark C. Capone has resigned as CEO and President and as a member of the Myriad's Board of Directors.
John T. Henderson, M.D., Chairman of the Board of Directors commented, "As we position Myriad for its next phase of growth and value creation, the Board and Mark have mutually agreed that now is the right time for a leadership transition...We are pleased to have a leader with Bryan's experience to step into the additional role of Interim CEO and provide continuity as we execute on our search for a permanent CEO...We are confident in Bryan's ability to drive the Company forward and will continue to support him and the entire executive team while we work to identify a permanent CEO...On behalf of the entire Board of Directors, I want to thank Mark for his leadership and contributions to Myriad over his more than 17-year tenure with the Company. We have had numerous scientific and medical advances during this time that have contributed significantly to the health and transformation of patients' lives around the world."
Myriad Genetics is headquartered in Salt Lake City , Utah and describes its business as "a leading molecular diagnostic and precision medicine company dedicated to being a trusted advisor transforming patient lives worldwide with pioneering molecular diagnostics. The company discovers and commercializes molecular diagnostic tests that: determine the risk of developing disease, accurately diagnose disease, assess the risk of disease progression, and guide treatment decisions across six major medical specialties where molecular diagnostics can significantly improve patient care and lower healthcare costs."
Myriad Genetics began the day with a market capitalization of around $2.2 billion with approximately 74.39 million shares outstanding and a short interest of about 17.2%. MYGN shares opened nearly 30% lower today at $20.68 (-$8.61, -29.40%) compared to yesterday's $29.29 closing price and fell to a new 52-week low price this morning of $19.08. The stock has traded today between $19.08 to $21.02 per share and is presently trading at $20.51 (-$8.78, -29.98%).
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire - a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investing involves risk and possible losses. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. Contact management and IR of each company directly regarding specific questions.
More disclaimer info: https://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp Learn more about publishing your news release and our other news services on the Investorideas.com newswire https://www.investorideas.com/News-Upload/ and tickertagstocknews.com