Apellis Pharma Shares Rise 20% on Positive Top-line Data in Phase 3 PNH Trial
Source: Streetwise Reports
January 8, 2020 (Investorideas.com Newswire) Shares of Apellis Pharmaceuticals opened 35% higher and established a new 52-week intraday high price today after the company announced positive top-line results from its Phase 3 head-to-head study of Pegcetacoplan (APL-2) versus Eculizumab in patients with Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria.
Apellis Pharmaceuticals Inc. (APLS:NASDAQ) today announced that it had achieved positive results in the company's Phase 3 PEGASUS study, which is evaluating pegcetacoplan (APL-2) in adults with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH).
The firm advised in the report that the top-line data show that pegcetacoplan met the study's primary efficacy endpoint and demonstrated superiority compared to patients who were treated with eculizumab. The company noted that pegcetacoplan also showed promising results in key secondary endpoints specifically meeting non-inferiority on transfusion avoidance and absolute reticulocyte count.
The company's Chief Medical Officer Federico Grossi, M.D., Ph.D., commented, "Pegcetacoplan is the first and only investigational therapy to demonstrate superiority compared to eculizumab on hemoglobin levels. We are also excited to see that 85% of patients treated with pegcetacoplan were transfusion free...At Apellis, we are focused on developing groundbreaking therapies, and these results show that pegcetacoplan has the potential to transform the lives of people with PNH. We look forward to meeting with regulators in the first half of the year to discuss next steps."
Peter Hillmen, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D., professor of experimental hematology at the University of Leeds and an investigator in the PEGASUS study, added, "The majority of patients with PNH currently receiving treatment with eculizumab have continuing anemia...The PEGASUS results show that pegcetacoplanhas the potential to become a new standard of care for patients with PNH."
In regards to the PEGASUS study, Apellis Pharma's Co-Founder and CEO Cedric Francois, M.D., Ph.D., remarked, "Going into the study, our most optimistic expectation was to see a 2 g/dL or more change in hemoglobin and a trend on the key secondary endpoints. Needless to say, we are thrilled with these results...These data give us strong confidence in the further development of pegcetacoplan as a targeted C3 inhibitor in geographic atrophy and other serious complement-driven diseases."
The firm explained in the report that "PNH is a rare, chronic, life-threatening blood disorder associated with abnormally low hemoglobin levels due to the destruction of oxygen-carrying red blood cells (hemolysis) and that persistently low hemoglobin can result in frequent transfusions and debilitating symptoms such as severe fatigue and difficulty breathing (dyspnea)."
The company identifies pegcetacoplan (APL-2) as "an investigational, targeted C3 inhibitor designed to regulate excessive complement activation, which can lead to the onset and progression of many serious diseases." In addition to the study for use in PNH, the firm stated that it is also studying pegcetacoplan in several other clinical studies in geographic atrophy (GA), and C3 glomerulopathy and indicated that the FDA has granted Fast Track designation for pegcetacoplan in the treatment of both PNH and GA.
Apellis Pharmaceuticals is headquartered in Waltham, Mass., and is a global biopharmaceutical company that is engaged in pioneering targeted C3 therapies. The firm focuses in the areas of hematology, ophthalmology and nephrology.
Apellis Pharmaceuticals has a market capitalization of around $1.9 billion with approximately 63.89 million shares outstanding and a short interest of about 8.3%. APLS shares opened 35% higher today at $40.89 (+$10.70, +35.49%) over yesterday's $30.19 closing price and reached a new 52-week high price this morning of $42.48. The stock has traded today between $34.61 and $42.48/share and is currently trading at $37.50 (+$7.31, +24.21%).
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire - a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investing involves risk and possible losses. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. Contact management and IR of each company directly regarding specific questions.
More disclaimer info: https://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp Learn more about publishing your news release and our other news services on the Investorideas.com newswire https://www.investorideas.com/News-Upload/ and tickertagstocknews.com