Source: Streetwise Reports
November 1, 2017 (Investorideas.com Newswire) BMO Capital Markets reported this producer's progress during Q3/17.
Newmont Mining Corp. (NEM:NYSE) had a "solid" Q3/17, during which "free cash flow shines," analyst Andrew Kaip of BMO Capital Markets wrote in an Oct. 26 research note.
The company's headline Q3/17 earnings per share was $0.39, which was "above consensus of $0.33" and "essentially in line with our estimates of $0.39," Kaip noted. Similarly, Q3/17 production met expectations, at 1.339 Moz.
All-in sustaining costs (AISCs) were $943/ounce, coming in below BMO's projected $994/ounce, said Kaip. Likewise, outlay for capital expenditures was $194M, which was also less than BMO's estimate of $250M.
Consequently, Kaip indicated, Newmont's operating and free cash flows during the quarter exceeded expectations. Actual operating cash flow was $685M and compared to an expected $585M. Free cash flow was $491M and surpassed the anticipated $335M.
At the end of Q3/17, Newmont's "net debt was $1.1B, including $3B in cash offset by $4B in debt," wrote Kaip.
The analyst relayed, too, that Newmont reiterated its production guidance for 2017, which is 5–5.4 Moz, along with AISCs of $900–950/ounce. It also kept its capital guidance for the year at $890–900.
BMO's research note included an operational update as well. Newmont announced it plans to proceed with construction at the Quecher Main deposit in Peru, "which is expected to extend Yanacocha mine life to 2027," said Kaip. Newmont estimates the project will initially require $250–300M in capital and will eventually generate "an internal rate of return of +10% at $1,200/ounce gold."
According to Kaip, Newmont achieved the following production milestones in Q3/17:
1. Tunami expansion: Commercial production was reached, and the company is considering another expansion there.
2. Twin Underground: First production was achieved, with commercial production anticipated in 2018.
This mining firm will share its longer-term corporate outlook during its Investor Day in December 2017.
BMO concluded that Newmont "has established a solid track record of execution and has delivered superior free cash flow returns, supporting an improved balance sheet. Announcement of the next series of expansions will add to an already peer-leading reserve life. These attributes, combined with above-average leverage relative to peers, position NEM as the preferred large gold producer under coverage."
BMO has an Outperform rating and a $45 per share target price on Newmont, whose stock is now trading at around $36.12 per share.
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Streetwise Reports does not accept stock in exchange for its services. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article, until one week after the publication of the interview or article.
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire - a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investment involves risk and possible loss of investment. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Contact each company directly regarding content and press release questions. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. More disclaimer info: https://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp
Additional info regarding BC Residents and global Investors: Effective September 15 2008 - all BC investors should review all OTC and Pink sheet listed companies for adherence in new disclosure filings and filing appropriate documents with Sedar. Read for more info: https://www.bcsc.bc.ca/release.aspx?id=6894. Global investors must adhere to regulations of each country.