Arcview Group: Even if Trump Cracks Down, Legal #Marijuana Industry's 27% Annual Growth Rate Through 2021 Remains Unchanged; Projected to Rise from $6.7B to $22.6B
Report includes unprecedented new data on product purchase trends in OR, WA, and CO that show an explosion in the number of brands and products
Oakland, CA - March 23, 2017 (Investorideas.com Newswire) Today, Arcview Market Research, the leading publisher of cannabis market research, released the full 200+ page 5th edition of The State of Legal Marijuana Markets which projects that the state-legal cannabis markets will continue to grow at a 27 percent CAGR through 2021, despite conflicting signals from the Trump administration. The report is the industry's most robust ever released with market projections that rely on a proprietary bottom-up point of sale foundation with millions of individual consumer transactions from dispensary partners in the largest legal cannabis markets across the country created by Arcview's data partner, BDS Analytics.
The report details how the two biggest drivers of growth are the passage and subsequent implementation of new adult-use laws and growth of branded product subcategories, such as vape cartridges, edibles, and other alternative consumption methods.
"While the uncertainty created by the mixed signals coming out of the Administration may cause a temporary dip in some valuations of cannabis companies and some more risk-averse institutional investors and multinational companies may continue to stay on the sidelines, it won't impact the growth of the market much at all," said Troy Dayton, CEO of Arcview Market Research. "No matter what the administration does, states will continue to issue cannabis licenses to a long line of applicants and licensed cannabis outlets will continue to have long lines of consumers ready to purchase this product from regulated establishments."
Additional findings from the report include:
- Legal consumer spending across North America grew 34 percent to $6.7 billion and can be expected to grow at a 27 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) over the next five years, from $6.7 billion in 2016 to $22.6 billion in 2021;
- North Americans spent $56.1 billion on legal and illicit cannabis products in 2016, about half of the $105 billion they spent on beer. But only $6.7 billion of that was spent legally and 87 percent of that came from just five states and Canada;
- Growth in legal cannabis sales has already eroded the illicit market. This erosion will greatly accelerate in 2018 with the arrival of legalized adult-use programs in North America's two biggest markets, California and Canada. Meanwhile, the 20 states without legal cannabis programs contributed nothing to the accelerating erosion of the illicit market;
- Voters in Florida, Arkansas, Montana, and North Dakota passed medical cannabis initiatives. This means that 63 percent of Americans can legally obtain cannabis with a doctor's recommendation;
- Voters in California, Massachusetts, Nevada, and Maine passed adult-use measures. This more than tripled the portion of Americans that will be able to purchase cannabis without a doctor's recommendation in their home state to 21 percent;
- Adult-use spending will surpass medical spending for the first time in 2019. By 2021, $14.9 billion (66 percent of total revenue) will be generated through adult-use programs and $7.7 billion (34 percent) through medical use;
- Compound annual growth rates above 50 percent since adult-use legalization in Colorado and Washington drew significant new segments of the investment community into the legal cannabis industry in 2016, driving triple-digit gains in public stocks and double-digit gains in capital raised by operating companies and a growing group of cannabis-focused investment funds;
- Pre-rolled product growth sales went up 63 percent in CO, 318 percent in WA and 236 percent in OR; the growth of concentrates and edible products (including in pill form) were similarly well-above the growth of flower in all three states
- In the relatively mature Colorado market, there are now hundreds of branded products on shelves. The top five brands accounted for nearly half of all edible sales, the top 10 brands for more than two-thirds, and the top 20 for almost 90 percent; Sales of dried cannabis flower still accounted for more than half of all cannabis product sales in 2016 in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington.
- Volume of flower sold continued to grow at a rapid pace throughout 2015 and 2016, while average retail price per gram has declined steadily.
The report also includes 30 in-depth state profiles.
"The explosion in the number of brands and products is dizzying," said Arcview Editor-in-Chief Tom Adams. "When the #1 concentrate brand in CO grows 84 percent but its market share percentage remains constant it becomes clear we are in a remarkable business boom. It reminds me of 1998, when Google was just one of dozens of search engines, or 1988 when Blockbuster was just one of dozens of video store chains; future market leaders are just now being launched."
The executive summary for the 5th edition of the State of Legal Marijuana Markets is available for free and the full digital and hardbound report is available for purchase for $597 at www.ArcviewMarketResearch.com.
About The Arcview Group:
Founded in 2010, The Arcview Group is responsible for a number of groundbreaking ventures in the cannabis industry. Arcview Market Research is the first and most oft-cited publisher of market research on the cannabis industry. The Arcview Investor Network includes 625+ dues-paying accredited investors who have put more than $106 million behind 139 companies. Arcview is a partner in Canopy, a seed-stage mentor-driven business accelerator. Arcview is also co-founder of Cannasure Insurance Services, the leading provider of business insurance to the cannabis industry. Arcview's upcoming Investor Forum for high net worth accredited investors will take place May 1-3, 2017 in Austin, TX. For more information on the event and Arcview Investor Network, please click here. Prior authorization for press access is required.
For more information or media inquiries, please visit www.arcviewgroup.com.
About BDS Analytics:
BDS Analytics helps cannabis industry executives make quality decisions based on the best data by capturing millions of transactions from dispensary point-of-sale systems and then mining that data for the most actionable insights. For more information please visit http://www.bdsanalytics.com/.
Like Marijuana Stocks? View our Marijuana / Hemp Stocks Directory
Join our Group on Linkedin - Marijuana / Hemp Stocks - News and Trends in Green Investing
Global Cannabis Investing - features Investor Ideas Cannabis news
Watch the 420 Cannabis Investor video
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire - a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investment involves risk and possible loss of investment. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Contact each company directly regarding content and press release questions. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. More disclaimer info: http://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp Learn more about publishing your news release on the Investorideas.com newswire http://www.investorideas.com/News-Upload/
Additional info regarding BC Residents and global Investors: Effective September 15 2008 - all BC investors should review all OTC and Pink sheet listed companies for adherence in new disclosure filings and filing appropriate documents with Sedar. Read for more info: http://www.bcsc.bc.ca/release.aspx?id=6894. Global investors must adhere to regulations of each country.